Lutheran Social Services New Americans
Building Bridges Conference feature presentations
Florida Center for Survivors of Torture
The Florida Center for Survivors of Torture (FCST) serves survivors of political and state-sponsored torture living in Tampa Bay and Miami-Dade counties through an intensive case management and strength-based, client-centered model. The goals of the program are to increase self-sufficiency and self-efficacy and to support survivors in their healing process. FCST assists survivors in rebuilding their lives and works to empower them through a community-based approach.
- Torture overview
- Complex marginalization and trauma
- Resilience and self-sufficiency
- Informed service provision
- The trauma story
- Multicultural issues in service provision
Stories of Creating Community
Led by Brad Delzer, theater artist and storyteller
- Hear the stories of refugees, immigrants and those who have welcomed them.
- Learn how someone becomes a refugee; what life as a refugee is like; how refugees come to the United States; what the resettlement process is like; and how newcomers and welcoming communities impact each other.