How Can I Help?
Small gestures can make big impacts and even the simple things add up to change someone's life.
Here are some easy ideas to start creating a welcoming community.
- Smile and say hello. This can lift someone's spirits.
- Pray for peace and generosity.
- Donate household items that many families need.
- Attend a cultural arts or entertainment event.
- Enjoy a meal in a restaurant that specializes in food from another country.
- Be willing to talk to friends and neighbors about concerns they may have about the changing face of our community.
- Learn about refugees and what they go through to get here.
- Let us know if you have a job opening at your workplace. Our new Americans have a variety of skills. Welcoming them would help further foster diversity.
- Community is one of the most important – and most missed – aspects of our new Americans' lives. Invite newcomers to join you in American celebrations like Independence Day or Thanksgiving.
- Volunteer. It's one of the most impactful things you can do.