Disaster Times – Minot, March 14, 2012
Lutheran Social Services of ND/Lutheran Disaster Response Weekly Update:
In an effort to keep you informed please feel free to clip and paste the following information into your bulletins.
NDSU Extension will host Rebuilding Your Flooded Home with energy efficiency in mind. Wednesday, March 21 at 6:30pm at the North Central Research Extension Center south of Minot on Hwy 83. Register for free at 701-857-6444 or email NDSU.ward.Extension@ndsu.edu. This is a great opportunity to make your home more energy efficient and lower your utility bills.
Hope Village – April 2, this collaborative effort by local and regional partners in disaster response opens to coordinate jobs and volunteers in Minot. Hope Village will provide housing, meals, showers, jobs and tools for the many volunteers coming to help the residents of Minot.
- Skilled Volunteers in construction and estimators to assist in the preparation of scopes of work and estimates of the cost to rebuild flood damaged homes
- Volunteer electricians to do residential electrical work – call 701-500-5206
- Volunteer case managers to identify needs and connect people with financial assistance and advocate on behalf of families affected by the flood
- Volunteers to help feed our volunteers are always in demand until April 2nd when Hope village opens
- Volunteers to assist in the physical setting up of bunks, cleanup of trailers, getting Hope Village ready for volunteer occupancy. March 24 will be our first workday so mark your calendars!
NEEDED: Case Managers in Minot area, contact Pastor Debra Ball-Kilbourne, Vincent United Methodist Church at 701-838-4425
What Does a Case Manager Do?
- A Case Manager assists families to access resources needed for their recovery
- Each Case Manager plays a critical part in the recovery of a family through compassion and genuine assistance to those in need
- Training and ongoing support is provided
Web site: www.hopevillagend.org provides the most current information on what is happening in the rebuild effort in Minot.
Numbers aren’t the only way to gauge our success but they do show progress:
- Total number of jobs pending March 10: 181
- Volunteers this week: 5
- Number of volunteer hours to date for March: 1086
- Number of houses: 2
To the volunteers: Thank you. From everyone who shook your hand, to those you commiserated with and did the hard, difficult work that the homeowner could not do, thank you.